Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Annotations of Sorbet



Hannibal Annotations – Sorbet

Time Index
Event
Notes


01:15- 01:20


Will: “Two days later, the eighth is killed in his workshop. Every tool on the pegboard where they hung was used against him, and, as with previous murders, organs were removed.”


From Red Dragon Chapter 6 "It was a coincidence," Graham said. "The sixth victim was killed in his workshop. He had woodworking equipment and he kept his hunting stuff out there. He was laced to a pegboard where the tools hung, and he was really torn up, cut and stabbed, and he had arrows in him. The wounds reminded me of something. I couldn't think what it was."



01:25

Wound Man Illustration on slide

Will showed Wound Man after showing Hannibal’s eighth victim, therefore he knows the murder is styled after Wound Man, unlike in Red Dragon.



04:35-04:40

Mrs. Komeda: “He used to throw such exquisite dinner parties. You heard me. Used to.”

From The Silence of the Lambs Chapter 4 "Dr. Hannibal Lecter professed to know nothing about these matters. The president and the conductor of the Philharmonic testified that they could not recall the fare at Dr. Lecter's dinner, though Lecter was known for the excellence of his table and had contributed numerous articles to gourmet magazines."

From Hannibal Chapter 57 "And Dr Lecter gave the famous birthday dinner for you. With the wine vintages keyed to your birth date."



09:30

The Shining Bathroom


Another Bathroom reference to “The Shining”




12:15-12:30

Jimmy: “We got twenty-two signature components all attributable to the same killer.”


Jack Crawford is based on real-life former head of the FBI’s Criminal Profiling Program, John Douglas. Douglas created the idea of a signature which he described as “a personal detail that is unique to the individual, why he does it: the thing that fulfils him emotionally” in Journey into Darkness.



13:25-14:00

Will: "I see him as one of those pitiful things sometimes born in hospitals. They feed it, keep it warm, but they don't put it on the machines. They let it die. But he doesn't die. He looks normal. And nobody can tell what he is."


From Red Dragon Chapter 6 Will: "He's a monster. I think of him as one of those pitiful things that are born in hospitals from time to time. They feed it, and keep it warm, but they don't put it on the machines and it dies. Lecter is the same way in his head, but he looks normal and nobody could tell."


14:00-16:20

Franklin: “I tried to get your attention.”

Franklin: “I was listening to, uh, Michael Jackson last night, and I burst into tears, and...my eyes are burning right now just talking about it. You know what I think is the saddest thing about him dying is that I will never get to meet him, and I feel like if I was his friend that I... I would have been able to...help save him from himself.”


Franklin is not getting good treatment; he is suffering from overidentification with Hannibal.

He also appears to be experiencing transference, where a patient's feelings for a significant person are redirected to their therapist. Transference is often manifested as an erotic attraction towards a therapist or even placing the therapist in a god-like status.

He also seems to have some type of Celebrity Worship Syndrome.

Hannibal seems to be using a Psychodynamic psychotherapy approach.

Franklin needs a new therapist.



17:05-17:15

Dr. Bedelia Du Maurier: “I respect its meticulous construction, but you are wearing a very well-tailored "person suit".”


From The Silence of the Lambs Chapter 25 “He's making himself a girl suit out of real girls”



18:20-18:50

Pink Wine

Huh, what the heck happened there, Hannibal was in Dr. Du Maurier’s office having wine, and then he tells Will that she was in his office. Is Dr. Du Maurier real?

  

24:20-24:50

Hannibal: “Beer brewed in a wine barrel. Two years. I bottled it myself.”
Alana: “A cabernet sauvignon wine barrel.”
Hannibal: “I love your pallet.”
Alana: “I love your beer. I taste oak.”
Hannibal: “What else do I taste in there?”


Bryan Fuller tweeted “Beer is People”

Hannibal himself explains how later: “I have a butcher who carries sow's blood. Centrifugate. Separate the matter from the water. Creates a transparent liquid.”

Since this beer is two years old, it’s possible it’s Miriam Lass beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment